The modality (learning channel preference) questionnaire reproduced here is by O'Brien (1985). To complete the modality questionnaire, read each sentence carefully and consider if it applies to you. On the line in front of each statement, indicate if the sentence never applies to you (1), sometimes applies to you (2), or often applies to you (3). Respond to all questions in all sections of the questionnaire.
Preferred Channel: Visual
1. _____ I enjoy doodling and even my notes have lots of pictures and arrows in them.
2. _____ I remember something better if I write it down.
3. _____ I get lost or am late if someone tells me how to get to a new place and I don't write down the directions.
4. _____ When trying to remember someone's telephone number, or something new like that, it helps me to get a picture of it in my mind.
5. _____ If I am taking a test, I can "see" the textbook page and where the answer is.
6. _____ It helps me to look at the person while listening. It keeps me focused.
7. _____ I had speech therapy.
8. _____ It's hard for me to understand what a person is saying when there are people talking or music playing.
9. _____ It's hard for me to understand a joke when someone tells me.
10. ____ It is better for me to get work done in a quiet place.
Visual Total _____
Preferred Channel: Auditory
1. _____ My written work doesn't look neat to me. My papers have crossed-out words and erasures.
2. _____ It helps to use my finger as a pointer when reading to keep my place.
3. _____ Papers with very small print or blotchy dittos or poor copies are tough on me.
4. _____ I understand how to do something if someone tells me rather than having to read the same thing to myself.
5. _____ I remember things that I hear, rather than things that I see or read.
6. _____ Writing is tiring. I press down too hard with my pen or pencil.
7. _____ My eyes get tired fast, even though the eye doctor says my eyes are ok.
8. _____ When I read, I mix up words that look alike, such as "them" and "then" and "bad" and "dad."
9. _____ It's hard for me to read other people's handwriting.
10. ____ If I had the choice to learn new information via a lecture or textbook, I would choose to hear it rather than read it.
Auditory Total _____
Preferred Channel : Kinesthetic (Haptic)
1. _____ I don't like to read directions; I'd rather just start doing.
2. _____ I learn best when I am shown how to do something and I have the opportunity to do it.
3. _____ Studying at a desk is not for me.
4. _____ I tend to solve problems through a more trial-and-error approach, rather than from a step-by-step method.
5. _____ Before I follow directions, it helps me to see someone else do it first.
6. _____ I find myself needing frequent breaks while studying.
7. _____ I am not skilled in giving verbal explanations or directions.
8. _____ I do not become easily lost, even in strange surroundings.
9. _____ I think better when I have the freedom to move around.
10. ____ When I can't think of a specific word, I'll use my hands a lot and call something a "what-cha-ma-call-it" or a "thing-a-ma-jig."
Kinesthetic (Haptic) Total _____
Once all 30 items have been completed, add up the scores for each of the three sections. The maximum score in any section is 30 and the minimum score is 10.