International Admissions
Program Overview
Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid
Degree-Transfer Admission and Financial Aid
Exchange Student Admission
College Profile
Academic Majors
Online Forms & Literature
Frequently Asked Questions
Campus Photos
Program Calendar
English Support Program
Immigration Information
F-1 Information
J-1 Information
Related Links
Other Int'l Student Services
World Vision Organization
Modern Languages Department
Study Abroad
Contact Us
Visa Renewal

Oh no! My visa expired! Do I have to get a new one?

As a student in F-1 status, as long as you are maintaining legal status, you may continue to stay in the US after your visa has expired. A student or exchange visitor visa is your permission to enter the country for your program of study, not your permission to stay. You need to get a new visa only if you are planning to leave and re-enter the United States.

As of July 16, 2004, all applications for visa renewal must be done outside the United States, generally in the applicant's home country. If your visa has expired and you have plans to leave and return, especially if you are not going to your home country, please consult early with the International Programs Office to consider your best course of action.

For more information: (F-1)