International Admissions
Program Overview
Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid
Degree-Transfer Admission and Financial Aid
Exchange Student Admission
College Profile
Academic Majors
Online Forms & Literature
Frequently Asked Questions
Campus Photos
Program Calendar
English Support Program
Immigration Information
F-1 Information
J-1 Information
Related Links
Other Int'l Student Services
World Vision Organization
Modern Languages Department
Study Abroad
Contact Us

Social Security Numbers

Social Security numbers are required by all employers in the US to track your earnings for taxation purposes and for reporting retirement or medical benefits for employees. If you work in the US, you must have United States Social Security number of your own. To obtain a number, you must visit a Social Security Administration office in person to apply for the card and number. This is a much easier process than it is in many countries, and as long as you are well prepared, usually only takes a couple hours of your time. Please click here for information regarding international students and social security numbers.

International students in the US must have an offer of employment to apply for a Social Security Number. If you have received an offer of employment from an office on campus, you will need to bring proof of that offer to the Office of International Admission, which will issue you an additional letter verifying your legal status and confirming your eligibility to apply for a Social Security Number. You may then contact the Office Of International Student Services to make arrangements to take you to a Social Security Office to apply for the number, or you may visit the Social Security Office on your own. Although you may legally apply at any Social Security Administration office, we have found the Zanesville staff to be extremely helpful and receptive to our students.

Social Security Administration
3823 James Ct.
Zanesville, OH 43701

Please wait at least two weeks after your initial arrival in the US before applying for your Social Security Number; your legal status may not be in the federal databases before that time, and the Social Security office may not be able to verify your status right away. Whether you go with International Student Services or on your own, you MUST bring with you all of the following documents:

  • completed Social Security Card application form (you may wish to ask for assistance from Meri Linn in completing this form; it can be confusing, and some of the questions may not apply to you)
  • your current signed I-20 or DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility)
  • proof of employment and valid F-1 or J-1 status (on campus letters below)
  • valid passport (and other valid form(s) of government issued ID if your current passport is less than 1 year old)
  • US student or exchange visitor visa (expired ok)
  • I-94 form with entry stamp marked "J-1" or "F-1" and "D/S"

If you do not have all of your documents, you may be asked to return and re-apply or complete your application. If your application is complete and approved, you should receive a receipt (ask for one if it is not offered) to show to your employer as proof that you have applied for a number. If you are approved for a number, it usually takes about two weeks for your card to arrive. When you get your card, please bring it to the Office of International Admission for me to make copies.

International students with an on-campus job offer may start work before the Social Security Number is issued, but you MUST apply for a number at the earliest opportunity.

If you will be participating in paid Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Academic Training under immigration regulations, and do not already have a Social Security Number, please request the student verification letter at the time you apply for permission to work off campus.

If you have any questions, please be sure to ask Meri Linn.