International Admissions
Program Overview
Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid
Degree-Transfer Admission and Financial Aid
Exchange Student Admission
College Profile
Academic Majors
Online Forms & Literature
Frequently Asked Questions
Campus Photos
Program Calendar
English Support Program
Immigration Information
F-1 Information
J-1 Information
Related Links
Other Int'l Student Services
World Vision Organization
Modern Languages Department
Study Abroad
Contact Us
Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students where the practical training employment is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. According to immigration regulations, this employment may be an internship, cooperative education job, a practicum, or other work experience that is either required for your degree (as defined in the course catalog) or for which academic credit is awarded. CPT employment must always be related to your field of study.


To be eligible for curricular practical training according to federal regulations, you must have been "in-status" and lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year, your employment must be an integral part of your degree program or approved by your academic advisor, and must be directly related to your field of study. Muskingum's policies require that you have achieved Junior class standing and maintained a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

For most international students at Muskingum, CPT requires internship for academic credit, unless an internship is required for your major.

How To Apply

You must have an offer of employment for work that qualifies as curricular practical training to apply for CPT and you must be authorized by the Office of International Admission to engage in CPT. Please plan to apply to the Office of International Admission at least a week before your employment is scheduled to begin. To apply for authorization you will need to bring the following to the International Programs Office:

  • A letter from your prospective employer, on company letterhead, which must include:
    • the starting and ending dates of your employment
    • the wages you will be paid
    • whether you will be working part time (20 hours per week or less) or full time (more than 20 hours per week)
    • the location of your employment
  • Proof of enrollment for internship credit (IDIS-300 or internship class from specific department, as listed in the Course Catalog). Instructions for submitting an internship proposal are available at or the Career Services office. A copy of the approved internship proposal form, with the VPAA's office signature should be included with your request to the OIE.
  • An email or letter from your academic advisor, stating that your internship proposal has been approved and that he or she will be overseeing your internship. Ask your academic advisor what he or she will require to approve your internship well in advance of seeking internship employment.

The Office of International Admission will review your file, confirm that you are maintaining legal status, and issue you a new I-20 endorsed for CPT. You may not legally begin your CPT employment until you have received that endorsement.

There is no limitation upon the length of time you may participate in full-time curricular practical training; however, if you participate in twelve months or more of full-time curricular practical training, you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation.

Please contact Meri Linn if you have any questions.