| Printing Services
Scanning feature makes using the Copy Center even easier!
The Copy Center is open every weekday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Requests may be submitted during this time at the
door to the Copy Center. Originals should be camera ready and on white paper. Forms are available at the window
for your convenience. Turn around time is usually the same day or next day depending on the volume of work
already pending and the size of the job. If time is an issue please ask for an estimated time of completion. Completed
copies will be delivered with the next mail delivery or arrangements may be made to have it picked up. Please be very specific when filling out the Printing Request Form. All copies will be run back to back unless otherwise marked on the form. Colored paper must be approved by the department heads.
Using the Scan Feature on Networked Copiers
This is the preferred method for electronic submission of most documents. If you require some assistance with your file before it is printed, you should submit it through the web page as described below. To use the scan feature:
- Print out a copy of the Scanner Print Request form and fill it out providing as much detail as you can.
- On a networked copier push the “Scanner” button.
- Make sure you are sending a 300 dpi (this is on the left side of the screen and can be adjusted using the “scan setting” button), Multi Page PDF (this is on the right and can be adjusted using the “Attached File” button). These features should be set as the defaults on all campus machines.
- From the scanner page choose the “Copy Center” as the destination.
- Use “Attach Sender’s Name” and if there is a button for your name choose that, otherwise use “manual
input” to type in your email address.
- With the Scanner Print Request form as the first page, use the “Start” button to start scanning.
This will email the copy job to the Copy Center.
Scanning is also available for archiving or distributing documents electronically. For information on how to use this feature, please refer to our scanning instructions page.
The finished job will be sent to the user via campus mail unless specified otherwise. Normal turn around is 24 hours or less. Large jobs and heavy volume can extend this. It is always best to plan ahead and check with the Copy Center on “rush” jobs.
Submitting off the Muskingum University Web Page
Use the Copy Center Print Request form (also in the link in the left margin). This form mimics in many ways the paper based form
currently used. After completion, this form is sent via email directly to the Copy Center. This has been modified
slightly to facilitate its use for electronic submissions. The modifications are:
- Filename as saved in the “inbox.” This is discussed below.
- Type of file format. Because the file must be reopened and printed, the application must be loaded on the
Copy Center computer. We cannot support an infinite number of formats, but have made an effort to offer a variety of the most commonly used applications including Microsoft Office, Word Perfect Office, Microsoft Publisher, and various graphic formats.
- Many of the options are answered through the use of pull-down menus.
- Any special instructions, such as unsupported file formats or fonts (discussed below) or page ranges to
print, should be listed in the “Other Instructions” box. Please be as specific as possible.
- There is a check box to request a proof for the job prior to completion. There are some pitfalls to printing
from a different machine than that used for the creation of the document. The Copy Center will attempt
to scan the document for obvious misalignment, etc., but cannot be expected to catch everything. It may
be useful to use the proof option more until we’ve all worked through this process and gained some experience on how the final product comes out. The more common pitfalls are:
- Spacing vs. Tabs. Using spaces to line up items instead of tabs and indents can cause the items to line up differently when opened on a different machine. Use of fixed length fonts such as Courier can help prevent this problem as well.
- Font selection. The Copy Center will have the standard fonts that come with the applications listed above. Use of non-standard fonts will be by special request only.
- Typographical errors and spell checking. This is not specific to electronic submission and should go without saying, but the Copy Center will not proofread for these types of errors.
Saving the file
To access the Copy Center Inbox, please do the following:
- Click the Start button
- Click Run
- Type- \\mailrcv\inbox
- Click OK
- You will be prompted for a username and password, of for only a password. The username is Guest and the password is muskies
- Click OK
- When the Inbox window opens, drag and drop your file into the folder.
- ON the Copy Center Request form, please indicate the filename.
Passwords/Confidentiality – If there is a concern with the confidentiality of a file, it can be saved with a password to
restrict access. The password must be included in the “Other Instructions” on the form (please note that passwords in
many applications are case sensitive). Faculty may not feel comfortable using electronic submission for tests. We
are not encouraging or discouraging this method of delivery for confidential documents. A phone call should be
placed to Amy prior to submission if you are concerned that it not be seen by a student worker.