International Programs
Study Abroad
Exchange Programs
Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs
Non-Exchange Programs
Application Information
Financial Information
Academic Credit
Preparing to Study Abroad
Forms and Information
Student Experiences
Important Links
Modern Languages Department
Contact Us /
Meet the Staff

Financial Information for Study Abroad

Semester Programs

  • Students studying in one of the Exchange Programs are eligible for any financial assistance they would receive as an on-campus student. Tuition charges are paid to Muskingum University.
  • Students studying in the Washington Semester Program of American University or the United Nations Semester of Drew University are eligible to receive one semester of full financial assistance. If additional terms are desired, financial aid is limited to federal and state aid. Since American University's tuition charges are higher than Muskingum's, any additional financial need must be met with student or parent loans, scholarship assistance directly from the Washington Semester program, or increased family contribution. All charges are paid to American University.

  • Students are responsible for securing payment for their room, board, and personal expenses at the exchange institution. If the student's financial aid eligibility exceeds the costs of tuition, remaining financial aid may be used toward room, board, and personal expenses. If additional financial assistance is needed, students may consider alternative loans. Information about alternative loans in available on the Financial Aid website under Admissions --> Financial Aid --> Student and Parent Loans. Loan applications can be completed online or you may pick up a paper application in the Financial Aid office.
  • For non-exchange programs, students must pay all fees to the host institution or third-party provider. Students do not pay any fees to Muskingum University during the time they are enrolled in a non-exchange study abroad program. Students are not permitted to use any Muskingum University-granted scholarships (i.e. John Glenn Scholarship, academic scholarships, departmental scholarships); however, federal and state financial aid may be applied in most cases. Please contact the Study Abroad Coordinator or your Financial Aid Counselor for more information.

May Term/Summer Programs

In most cases, financial aid is not available for May Term. Students may borrow alternative loans to cover the costs of their trip. Students must be registered for the trip before a loan can be processed. In addition to registration, a student must also notify Student Financial Services with the costs (tuition, room/board, personal, transportation, etc.), dates, and payment dates for the trip.

Contact Amy Gooden (x 8139) in the Financial Services office to determine whether your Muskingum University financial aid package will be applicable towards your study abroad program.