| How to Apply for Need-Based Financial Aid
Need-Based Financial Aid Application Process
If you wish to be considered for need-based financial aid at Muskingum University, you will need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.
The FAFSA for 2015-16 can not be filed before January 1, 2015. The recommended filing date for entering students is 1 week after you have filed your federal income taxes or March 1st. Returning students should file by April 15th.
If this is your first time filing the FAFSA you may want to click here to watch 7_easy_steps to the FAFSA.
Parents and students should work together. The FAFSA is based on parent and student 2014 income tax information and assets. If you have not completed your income taxes by the recommended filing date you may complete the FAFSA with estimated information. You can update to your FAFSA after you file your taxes.
- Get a PIN number for yourself and a PIN number for one of your parents at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov (paper application available by calling 800-433-3243)
- Click on Start Here and then have the student Login.
- Click on Start 2015-16 FAFSA.
- Follow the instructions to enter your information. Help text is provided throughout the application to assist you in entering information correctly. We recommend that parents and students use the IRS data-retrieval process within the FAFSA application if eligible. Be sure to list Muskingum in the school section.
- Sign your application using your PIN (student and one parent), or print a signature page, sign it and mail it to the Federal Processor. If you are unable to complete the FAFSA in one sitting you may save and return to the application later.
You will receive an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) if you filed on-line or filed a paper application and provided an e-mail address. You will receive a SAR by mail if you filed a paper FAFSA and did not provide an e-mail address. You should review the information on the SAR for accuracy. You may make corrections on-line, or contact Student Financial Services with any corrections.
If Muskingum University is listed on the SAR, then we will receive your FAFSA at the same time you receive your SAR. If you have been accepted to Muskingum University, your FAFSA will be reviewed for correctness and completeness, and follow-up requesting additional information may be necessary.
If there will be an income reduction or other special financial circumstances in 2015, you should complete a Special Conditions Form.
When all information is complete a Financial Aid Award Notice will be sent to you (by mail for entering students; on MuskieLink for returning students). We begin sending financial aid Award Notices to new students beginning in mid-March and returning students in June. Your award notice will include a listing of financial aid for which you are eligible, along with total costs for the 2015-16 year.
We request that students accept or decline the aid offer by May 1, 2015 or within two weeks of the award if after May 1.
Financial Aid for May Term & More
aid for May Term & More is much different than financial aid for fall and
spring semesters. Students should Register for May Term and complete a May Term & More Financial Aid Application. The application is available in Student Financial Services beginning in March. Students will receive notification of their
financial aid eligibility by e-mail.
To be eligible a
-be enrolled for at least 6 hours as a degree seeking
-have filed the FAFSA
students may receive:
-Direct Stafford Loan
-Perkins Loan or Henry
-Scholarships & Grants - if May Term
is being used to replace a Fall or Spring semester
- Private Loans are available (upon credit-approval) to students who need additional
loan funds to cover their costs